- Apply effective communication techniques to engage children and their families.
- Identify when and how to screen children with type 1 diabetes for abuse, neglect and suicide risk.
- Apply carbohydrate counting methods to meal planning for children with type 1 diabetes.
- Identify common eating disorders in youth with type 1 diabetes.
- Identify the benefits of pediatric diabetes self-management education and support.
- Identify management strategies using insulin pump therapy for the pediatric type 1 diabetes population.
- Discuss ethical issues and protocols health care providers face when screening and treating patients who may be abused, neglected or at risk for eating disorders.